Review: The Rise of Ransom City by Felix Gilman

Over at Strange Horizons, I review Felix Gilman's The Rise of Ransom City, following up on my review of the first volume in (what I assume is) this duology, The Half-Made World.  I enjoyed The Rise of Ransom City very much (it was even on my Hugo ballot) and there's a lot that Gilman is doing that I don't think anyone else currently writing fantasy is interested in, which I hope to write more about in the near future.  But nevertheless, there are problems with this sequence, and the way it fantasizes American Western expansion, that can't be ignored.

Comments

Alison said…
Crooked Timber are about to begin an online seminar on these two books. Their previous seminars have been well worth the read. My favourite so far was their analysis of Jonathan Strange.

http://crookedtimber.org/2013/04/27/upcoming-felix-gilman-seminar/
Anonymous said…
I am sorry, every time I comment on this blog using my Google login the comment duplicates itself after a few seconds. I will try remember to use a different online ID.

Alison
I've deleted your double comment, Alison. Not sure why that's happening, though Blogger's comment interface certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

I was aware of the Crooked Timber Gilman seminar - because I'm participating it in :-) Very much looking forward to seeing the other participants' entries, though - it's a very interesting group of people.
Anonymous said…
Oh why didn't you tell me you were in it? I am only glad these comments of mine are a couple of posts down in your blog so hopefully nobody saw them.

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Hugo Awards: Somehow, It Got Worse

Recent Movie: The Batman

The 2023 Hugo Awards: Now With an Asterisk